Monday, June 17, 2013

Dress Shirt to Bomb Shell

I'm fascinated with all things vintage. I love the style, the hair, and the attitude they rocked in that era. Although I couldn't go back to that I figured I'd try to bring a little bit of it back. I was given this shirt and wasn't too fond of it on me, but it had great shape and a lot of potential.


First thing I did was cut off the sleeves turning it into a tank top, then I cut off the bottom about an inch or so from the bust line.

 Next I cut the back to kind of mirror the front using a rotary blade. I gave it a 3/8'' seam allowance on the back and straps and folded the fabric under the bust line in half and sewed it onto the seam of the bust.

Sorry, I don't have a picture of how I did the bottoms, but I used the excess fabric from the top and used my favorite pair of underwear to draft the design but added a few inches to the waistline because I wanted them high waisted. I used the sleeves to thicken the crotch line then I sewed that onto the front side, then the back, then the sides together. I know this tutorial won't work for EVERY shirt, but hopefully it could offer at least a little inspiration. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment