Sunday, June 16, 2013

Recycled Pop Bottles to Earring Stand

My step dad drinks more Mtn Dew than anyone I know. We don't do anything with the pop bottles other than throw them away, so for awhile now I've been keeping them and cutting off the bottoms because they looked like a flower and I could use them to decorate or something. Well, they sat on my desk for a while and when I made my last earring holder I sat some in there and I realized how perfect it was! So with some hot glue, tape, 5 bottle bottoms, a pencil and a half, and some glitter I made this recycled beau!


Weapon of mass destruction!
Just kidding.. although, it kinda was for me. I had it on reverse (not knowing any better.) so it took some major muscles pressing down on it to get it to drill. Well, Matthew came in and realized it was on reverse so he turned it on the right way for me and I continued to press down on it with all my muscles (not knowing any better) and it lost contact with the board and the drill got me a good one in the stomach. Ouch. 
Nevertheless, you will need a drill! 
**Make sure it's NOT on reverse!**

Using the drill put a hole the size of a standard pencil in the middle of the bottom of the pop bottle after you cut them down to about three quarters of an inch. (On one of the bottoms I didn't drill through it all the way. I did this because I wanted the pencil to set inside of it. It's your choice, but I found it worked better for me.)
I continued to cut through the rest of them completely. Cutting four regularly and just the one as the base half way. Next I threaded the pencil through the hole. Be sure your pencil is straight on both ends. (Not sharpened)
I left about 2 and a half inches between each bottle bottom. After I placed them I used hot glue under the opening and on top to help stabilize it. 
When I put the bottles over the pencil it tore the paint off the pencil because it was such a snug fit so I knew I couldn't paint it before therefor it would make it really hard to paint the pencil without getting it all over the bottles so I used masking tape and glitter to cover the pencil. It was super easy and what girl doesn't love a little sparkle? Yeah, I dunno any either. I used the sticky part of the tape to hold the glitter then the hot glue gun to attach the tape to the pencils. Slowly, tier after tier it came together! 

Nothing beats a free craft that helps the environment!






No comments:

Post a Comment